No. Non-profit status and tax exempt status are different things. As a general rule, in order to be tax exempt, a corporation must be incorporated as a non-profit corporation. However, IRS Form 1023, “Application for Recognition of Exemption,” (or other appropriate Form) must be filed with the IRS. In addition, most States require a separate filing in order to be tax exempt on the State level.